Monday, November 15, 2010

Another Opportunity

I almost turned down the opportunity to participate in David Kassan's workshop in Akron this past weekend. I am so glad I took the leap and went because it was awesome. He is a wonderful teacher, person and painter, and just when I thought "How could he possibly do more to this drawing - he spent another 2 hours developing the edges, the round forms even further. It was an  incredible experience. The joy he takes in putting down the stroke is what I liked the most.
I went out to the studio this morning and have a whole new view of what I want to do with the painting on the easel. It's not that I want to paint like him (ah - in my dreams!) but the care and time he invests in his work is a wonder to watch. 
Above is his masterpiece. Below is my attempt. I was actually kind of pleased (sorry she looks mad - just tired). 
I liked a lot of the things he said, and one was "to conquer the things you fear the most" Noses. I'm going to be drawing a lot of noses now. And I'm going to love starting this new large painting I've had waiting in the wings. I wanted to take the class first and now so glad I waited to start with fresh eyes.

No comments: